The initial training at the School of Pharmacy in Zaria started around 1947 to train dispensers (Dispensers Course), and much later in 1961 it was upgraded to the Chemist and Druggist Diploma. This was the first requirement for registration as a Pharmacist by the former Pharmacist Board of Nigeria PBN. The entry requirement for the Diploma was the Nigerian College of Arts, Science and Technology (NCAST) certificate, Ibadan. However candidates with credits in the relevant science subjects in GCE O Level were admitted for a five year course. At the end of the course, successful candidates were awarded two diplomas viz the Professional Diploma of the PBN (the Chemist and Druggist Diploma) and the Pharmaceutical Chemists Diploma (of the Pharmacy School, Zaria). The three year Pharmacy degree programme was started in 1968 in the Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Faculty of Science, ABU Zaria. However the first set of students were admitted in 1970 and they graduated in 1973 with a BSc degree in Pharmacy.
The Department of Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Practice was created out of Department of Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacy in 2008.